One of the first questions people ask me when I am going to give a message or lesson is “what will I be speaking about?” This question is usually followed up with, “oh, so you’re using the lectionary, then.”
This list is based partly on my opinions and partly on what I have observed from others.
- The congregation gets a fuller view of the scriptures over time.
- The speaker/preacher has a framework in which to seek the Spirit’s guidance.
- The speaker/preacher doesn’t preach only on his or her personal convictions and favorite passages.
- It may not take into account the leadings of the speaker/preacher.
- I can’t think of any more.
Add to this list. What are your views on lectionary preaching/teaching?